Medical Team Members
The medical team for managing my chronic illnesses consists of the following professionals:
- Complimentary Alternative Medicine Physician (CAM) - Various professionals fall into this category including my acupuncturist
- General Practitioner - a medical practitioner who provides primary care and specializes in family medicine. A general practitioner treats acute and chronic illnesses and provides preventive care and health education for all ages
- Gynecologist - A doctor who specializes in the prevention and treatment of diseases of the female reproductive organs.
- Neurologist - Physician who diagnoses and treats disorders of the nervous system
- Neurosurgeon - A physician specializing in operations to treat disorders of the nervous system
- Nutritionist - An expert trained in the field of nutrition who is able give advice in regard to allergies or health problems, and plan healthy diets to assist in weight loss.
- Physical Therapist - A specialist who uses exercises, stretches, and other techniques to help patients improve mobility, decrease pain, and reduce any disability
- Radiologist - A physician with special training in reading and interpreting diagnostic x-rays and performing specialized x-ray procedures like CT and MRIs.
- Rheumatologist - an internist or pediatrician who is qualified by additional training and experience in the diagnosis and treatment of arthritis and other diseases of the joints, muscles and bones. Can treat fibromyalgia.
- Trauma & Pain Counselor - Counselor who addresses the implications of a chronic condition with an understanding of both the physical and emotional consequences and limitations of the pain or illness. Focus on the loss of activities that were a regular part of daily enjoyment and the feelings of anger, resentment, and frustration that result.
Ask your doctor to recommend what types of doctors, physicians, medical specialists, or other medical professionals should be part of the team for your medical issues.